What are keywords?
Keywords are phrases that briefly describe what a site is all about. They are intended to inform search engines about the topic addressed in order to establish a level of relevance for the position of the site in search engines.
Word evaluation criteria
For your site to be efficient, it is not enough to have only a modern and responsive design (adaptable for all types of devices). It will have to be easy to find by the general public and meet the needs of users. But in order to do this, you will first need to identify certain appropriate keywords that will drive high traffic to your site. First of all, in order to discover and use these keywords, you need to consider the following selection criteria:
- The search volume is essential for choosing the best keywords, the higher it is, the more visitors you can have on the pages of the site.
- Checking the competition – If you want to get to the first page in search engines more easily and faster, we recommend that you choose keywords that are used by a smaller number of websites.
- Cost Per Click – Even if you don’t intend to run Google Ads, this can be a valuable milestone. Usually, the words for which you bid the most are words that bring profit or traffic.
Free keyword identification tools
To identify these free resources, you can try the following sites:
- Google Trends – a tool that displays in real time the most searched words by people on Google and partner sites. You can choose to display the results from the last 4 hours, the current day, the last week, the last month or the last year and so on. It has a very well thought out filtering system for these results. You can opt for the words with the highest search volume by country, period, niche or channel (Google, Youtube, News feed or images). Received values represent a Google filtering system.
- Google Ads – Even if you don’t intend to post ads, Google Ads has a search and estimating tool based on the keywords you enter. It also shows you the level of competition and the costs per click bid by sites.
- Keywords Tool – A free tool that extracts data directly from Google, Bing or Youtube. With the free version you can search up to 750 words maximum.
- SEMrush – Unlike the others, SEMrush is only free for 7 days for people who create an account on the site. In addition to results, it displays extra word suggestions used by competitive sites.